Friday, July 19, 2013

Cement work

 We had a water leak and we had to break out quite a bit of the concrete to find the leak.   I got the leak fixed and then I had to replace the cement.   I bought a bag of cement powder and found some sand and mixed it up and poured about 25 buckets full in order to fill in all the holes.   This was a very crude way of pouring cement but it is the only way it could be done.   I finished it in two days of about 3 hours per day.   The bed in the background was burned up but the lady wanted to keep it for her very own.   So we couldn't get rid of it.   The neighbors were hanging their laundry on an old piece of iron gate which could have fallen on the kids.  I got rid of that and strung her a new clothesline.  
 I found this trowel under some junk in the yard and it was one of the best finds so far in Africa.   I have used it from everything to scraping  dried cement off of the floor tile to mixing cement.    I would mix one bucket of sand and cement powder on a piece of wood and then put it into the hole with the trowel and smooth it with a board.  Then when it was almost set I hit it with a broom and it really turned out pretty nice.   I felt like a pioneer.  
This little shack was in the yard of a lady that we were teaching with the missionaries and I thought it was kind of quaint.  Note the goat in the front of the shed.   There are goats everywhere.  At first glance this looks pretty bad but if you overlook the bad stuff and look at the trees and jungle it is really nice.   The picture can't capture how nice the jungle is here.    If you look close on the board on the top of the side of the shed you can see cell phone numbers written there.   People here have very little but they all have a cell phone.   

No comments:

Post a Comment