Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wild animals of Asamankese

 These small boys are trying to sell us these crabs.   We gave them the money for the crabs but told them all we wanted was a picture of them.   All the crabs were alive and ready to eat.  
    But as for me, only large Alaskan King Crab legs will do!
 I'll bet you have never seen pink baby chickens, but here in Ghana they are the rage.    We thought that people painted them so they could tell there chickens from the neighbors, but later we found out that they paint them wild colors so that the hawks won't think that they are chicks.   I guess it works because I haven't seen a single hawk with a pink chicken in it's mouth.  
 One morning I looked out of the door and saw this black mamba snake under the truck.   If one of them bites you,  you will be dead in less than a minute.   I called for the missionaries to come and see it and they came running to help.  
 Elder Jensen grabbed it and before I could stop him he put it in his mouth,   I thought he was going to die in less than a minute until I realized that it was rubber and the missionaries had played a terrible bad joke on us.    Pay back is going to be rough for them.   
This gobbler is a very obnoxious creature to say the least.   He wakes us up every morning with his loud turkey sounds and leaves mines all around our apartment.   Little does he know that in a couple of months he is going to make 8 missionaries a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner.    
 Dogs and goats live in harmony with each other here.  Of course little do they know they also will be on someones dinner table.  


 We have lizards everywhere,   we even had one in the house the other day.    He snuck under the door in the night.   This one was about a foot long.     No one  has eaten one yet though that I know of.   Maybe we can catch one and bring it home to you Zach.
 Two weird looking sheep wandering just outside our apartment.   
To see a herd of cattle wandering down the road in the middle of town is not out of the ordinary.  Kind of like the fourth of July parade but with no pooper scooper following.(no job here for you Waylon)     We have seen no wild animals except the ones shown here and we ask a man one day where were all of the lions and tigers and monkeys and he said "we ate them".

2 comments:

  1. My heart seriously skipped a beat when I saw that snake in Elder Jensen's mouth!!! Glad you explained the rubber part, this momma was about ready to fly to Ghana and hurt Elder Jensen :) Thanks for the pics, love them all!!! Tamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want that lizard it looks so cool!!! please don't just bring one home to Zach, I want one too!!!!!!Presley

    ReplyDelete